“Showstopper” bugs – bugs which demand your attention, which hold up forward progress – aren’t terribly common.  Most things can be put off, worked around, “featurized”, or discarded if you don’t want to deal with them right away.  Every now and then, though, you get something special.

Internet Explorer

I mentioned yesterday that my Gadget was working only intermittently in IE6. Since then, I’ve discovered that the problem extends to IE7, which makes ignoring it impractical. Since the bulk of the development I was planning to do this week revolved around the Gadget, this is a bit of a problem. Resolving the IE issue has to be the top priority.

The IE issue is instructive on at least one point: The importance of testing. I tested the AJAX version of my puzzles extensively in IE, and the Gadget extensively in FF. Since the JS was shared between the AJAX and Gadget-ized versions of the puzzles, I figured little could go wrong with IE.

This, it turned out, was a mistake.

Future Work

At the moment, I’m dedicated to figuring out my IE Gadget problems. I’m not sure I’ll have time for anything else. We’ll see how it goes.

Yesterday’s Stats

Stat 27th
Visitors 76
Visits 93
Pageviews 370
Pages/Visit 3.98
Avg. Time on Site 8:53

This is the last day of the higher-budget, lower-CPC bid data. It’s pretty much the best day I’ve had since I started. I think I’ve figured out at least a crude way to buy traffic. Tomorrow we’ll start seeing some data from the post-Adwords era, for comparison.

Follow Along

You can subscribe to my RSS feed, if you’d like to follow along with this month’s project, in which I attempt to create and popularize a puzzle site.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • HackerNews
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Slashdot
This entry was posted in Projects, Web stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.